The marketplace is filled with many products and brands. Unilever is a company that
produces personal care items such as Suave shampoo and distributes them to a vast
array of retailers. The retailers, in turn, offer the product to consumers. Sometimes, the
consumers are end-users of the shampoo. Other times the ‘consumer’ maybe another
store which will, in turn, re-sell the product. In this assignment you will examine why
retailers adopt the pricing strategies they do as well as various consumer shopping
Choose a product you buy on a regular basis. Examples could include food products,
gasoline, health and beauty items, etc. Find this product for sale at three different
locations. This can be online through Amazon or another online retailer or in a
traditional store. Develop a chart that identifies the product you are researching, the
companies you visited which sell them and the price each of the retailers is charging for
the product. Make sure you are comparing the same size and quantity of each. For
example, if you are comparing Suave shampoo, you want to find the same type and
size of Suave shampoo to compare. You will evaluate the pricing factors and strategies
for this product.
Provide an introduction to the company, the needs/value they are serving, their target
customer and the social media platforms they are utilizing. If they are using multiple
platforms, list them here and then choose 1 to evaluate in the next section.
• Start with an introduction paragraph that Introduces and describes your product
and why you chose this product.
• Develop a chart that identifies the product, companies you visited which sell the
product and the price for each.
Product Company Price
MKT200 – Principles of Marketing
Unit 4 Assignment: Pricing
• Explain why you think there are price differences for the same product at different
stores. Include at least 2 of the external and 2 of the internal factors which might
be affecting the companies pricing strategies.
• Describe why consumers might decide to purchase the higher-priced item even
though it can be purchased less expensively somewhere else.
• Conclude your paper with an overall assessment of what you learned from this
• Include at least two resources to support your work. At least one resource must
be from the Post University library.
• Length: at least 2 double-spaced, APA formatted pages (Not including cover or